Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Cal Poly Pomona or UC Santa Cruz?

I got accepted by both of these schools. I'm planning on majoring in Electrical Engineering. I want to go to UC Santa Cruz because its a UC and its on the beach, but I know that CPP is a good engineering school despite being in the Cal State System. I've heard a lot of postitive things about UCSC, but I dont' know how going to CPP is like nor how the city is.

Cal Poly Pomona or UC Santa Cruz?
I graduate from Cal Poly Pomona in Biotech. I have been to several universities including Humboldt and Fullerton. I would suggest looking at the program of both schools carefully and making a list of the purely academic advantages and disadvantages of each school. Then do the same for the non-academic areas including the cost of living, the location ect. These two are very different schools and it depends on where you are coming from, and what type of environment you want to be in.





Pomona tends to be more of a commuter school and if you have no car is very isolated from any activities. It is still in the middle of a huge suburb/metropolis and there is always something to do if you have the time transportation and money. Their EE reputation is very good and they have a new engineering department.





These are the few things I know from friends who have gone to UCSC. It is a very different type of school than you will find anywhere else. They used to only give out pass or fail for grades. It is very laid back and the people who succeed are those who are very dedicated and have a lot of self-disciplined. It is very beautiful, but like most schools on the ocean it can be expensive. It tends to have a more "college" type atmosphere.





If I were a freshman again, I would probably pick UCSC if the program were about the same as the one at CPP.





Remember that if it doesn't work out you can always transfer.
Reply:Cal Poly San Luis Obispo is the good school for engineering not ponoma. Also, Ponoma is a **** HOLE. Go for Santa Cruz.


No comments:

Post a Comment